The Ultimate Spring Tree Care Checklist
April 22, 2019 Leave your thoughts
Now that winter is behind us and we can spend some time outside without freezing our limbs off, it’s time to get to work taking care of our lawns! In addition to fertilizing and mulching, a big part of spring landscaping in Clinton County, NY involves working on your trees to ensure they’re strong and healthy. This post will cover a few of the things that you can do as a homeowner if you want the best-looking trees and yard in the neighborhood:
- Inspect trees and shrubs: Before you break out any of your tree trimming gear, take some time to walk around your yard and inspect all of your trees and shrubs. Have any of the trees been affected by pests? Did a winter storm cause severe damage to their limbs? Is any of the bark starting to rot? If you answer “yes” to any of these questions, or if your trees just don’t look that great, you should consider calling an arborist for further examination.
- Prune dead branches: As mentioned above, winter can do a lot of damage to your tree limbs, sometimes even killing them. You obviously don’t want a tree with dead limbs, as these are more likely to fall and damage your home or your car. The good news is that pruning your trees isn’t all that difficult as long as you have the proper tree trimming equipment. Though you can potentially do this job yourself, we recommend hiring a professional to take care of pruning, as it’s not always the safest job in town.
- Plant new trees: Does your yard look a little bare? If so, it’s time to fix that by planting new trees. Spring is the best time to plant trees because they’ll get the perfect amount of sunshine and rain to grow up to be big and strong. Keep in mind that you can’t just plant your new tree and forget about it—new trees need plenty of fertilizer and mulch to ensure they don’t die within the first few weeks of being planted.
- Lay down mulch: New trees aren’t the only trees that need mulch—all trees do! Mulch secures the organic material underneath the soil that trees need to grow, it conserves water and it helps prevent weeds from taking over. On top of all that, a nice layer of mulch looks great and gives your yard a fresh new look. Be sure to also mulch your gardens to help all of your flowers thrive this spring and summer!
- Hire a professional: If you don’t have the time or desire to do any of the chores mentioned above, consider hiring a professional to take care of your landscaping. Professional landscapers can save you a whole lot of frustration and will also give you the best-looking property on the block.
When it comes to landscaping in Clinton County, NY, nobody’s better than Rand Hill Lawns, Inc. We offer a wide range of services for lawns of all sizes at the most competitive prices in town, so give us a call today to get started.
Categorised in: Landscaping