Pruning all of the trees on your property is just one of the many steps necessary to have the best-looking lot on the block—but how do you know when it’s time for tree pruning in Chazy, NY? It can be hard to know for sure unless you’re a professional. Luckily, we’re here to help! Continue reading to learn a few of the signs that it’s time to give a pro a call to prune those branches:
- Broken branches: Tree branches tend to get weaker as they grow longer. This poses a hazard during a storm, when the branches can suddenly snap off. If you’ve noticed an uptick in broken limbs, it’s time to think about trimming the remaining ones back.
- Deep cracks: Extreme heat and deep freezes both cause cracking in the bark, which leads to health problems like sunscald, particularly in young trees. The best way to protect against these issues is to prune your branches.
- Tree cankers: Spots on the bark that are sunken or missing are called cankers, and they’re a sign of disease or decay. These cankers are caused by a variety of things, including fungus, insects and some chemicals. The best way to treat them (or ensure they don’t grow at all) is to trim your branches.
- Excessive greenery: A lush tree that’s full of beautiful green leaves might look nice, but that’s not always in the tree’s best interest! If your trees are looking a little too green, call a pro to have the branches trimmed.
- Untamed growth: Tree limbs can grow unevenly if they’re not pruned often enough. This is a problem for two reasons: it looks strange, and it leads to an imbalance in the tree. Pruning is the only way to correct this issue.
Should you prune your trees by yourself?
You could certainly get up on a ladder and start pruning your trees today—but should you? We don’t think so! Here are a few reasons why we advise against DIY pruning:
- You could stunt tree growth: Tree pruning is more complicated than it looks! If you’re not sure what you’re doing, you could end up cutting back more than you should, which hurts the tree much more than it helps.
- You could hurt yourself: Injuring the tree isn’t your only concern. You could also seriously hurt yourself if you’re untrained with tree trimming equipment. Severed limbs or fingers and falls from the ladder are common injuries among DIY-ers.
- You don’t have the right gear: You probably have a ladder somewhere in your garage or shed, but do you have shears, loppers, saws or a pole pruner? If not, then you’ll need to go out and buy all of that gear. You could almost certainly get off cheaper by hiring a pro rather than buying all of that equipment.
Don’t hesitate—pick up the phone and call us to set up an appointment today! We’re the trusted company when it comes to tree pruning in Chazy, NY, so you can rest easy knowing that your trees are in good hands when you choose Rand Hill Lawns, Inc. for the job.
Categorised in: Tree Pruning